Saturday 19 October 2013

Cameo frames, Cats & Chains

eBay is the devil I tell you! 

There I was, all cosied up on the sofa scrolling through my instagram last night, just checking out all the cute handmade jewellery available when I found myself wondering; could I make jewellery? Very recently I bought this gorgeous necklace from Cat Called Esteban Vintage.


I adore the design - the multi layers and how each hanging chain adds extra volume and shape to the piece. The emphasis isn't on the pendant like most modern necklaces, the whole thing is crafted so that each part is as beautiful as the last. I began searching for something similar but with such a vivid picture of what I wanted in my mind I was hard pressed to find it. After a few beverages, naturally I was utterly convinced I could make my dreams a reality. Two hours later my shopping basket is full, my bank balance lighter, and on their way to me are a gorgeous range of cameo frames, chains and cats. Apparently I like cats now... 

Today I figured, since I had the materials on their way, I better begin some form of design process. Here's a little of my inspiration - feast your eyes and let me know what you think!


You might be able to tell I have a slight obsession with Cameo's....

My Great Grandma has the most beautiful collection of brooches, mostly antique, and since childhood I have been thoroughly stunned by the tiny details engrained in each one. To me, they are the epitome of beauty, from the models tumbling curls to their smooth profile; they have always caught my heart. I'd like to be able to recreate something similar in design, to be able to achieve even a fraction of that beauty in my designs is a dream.

I'll keep you updated on my progress via both my blog and my instagram profile so keep those eyes peeled!

If you like my ideas check out pill.se - Jo's designs are absolutely breathtaking and each piece is completely handmade. Her statement pieces put an urban twist on the vintage style, I love the 'Peculiar Jewels' collection. Bang on trend! Which pieces are your favourites?

Ria <3

No comments:

Post a Comment